Wednesday, September 14, 2011

A day in the life of myself, in 1943

While I was thinking about what my life would be like in 1943, I realized that WWII was happening during this time.  Considering I've never had to live through that, it's hard to tell what an average day would be like.
Being 18 years old in this time is very difficult.  I'm leaving my house today, on my way to work.  I need to help my parents pay for our bills, and for food for our family.  This war is starting to kill us financially.  My father was just drafted into the war a few weeks ago, and i really miss him.  My mom and I work in this filthy factory from sun-up to sun-down.  We don't even make a lot of money, even though I think the work labor we put into this factory is great.  I have to operate a heavy machine, which cut off multiple peoples hands before.  I also work next to a young boy, maybe 6 or 7 years old.  I feel bad because whether the boy is too tired to work, the boss won't let him have a break.  Children means cheap labor.  I can't bare the smell of this place.
The employees here don't get treated as they should.  We work all day long just to be able to pay off for food for maybe 2 days.  And don't think we get to eat a feast, we get to eat a few bites of something plain.  After today's long day of work i get to sleep, only to wake up and go back to the factory again in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment